Saturday, June 23, 2007

Welcome to EOS Mío

I've been into photography for a long time - about 20 years. Besides watching professional sports and reading, it's the only hobby I've had from my early teens through middle age. (Yikes - I'm middle-aged - that's not fun to type!)

So, at the urging of family and friends, I bring you EOS Mío.

First, the name. I'm nuts about Canon equipment - I'm on my 8th and 9th Canon SLRs, and with the exception of my HP Photosmart R967 digital and a Yashica point and shoot I had years ago, I've only ever owned Canon cameras.

I owned Canon's first EOS camera, the 650, which was also Canon's first true auto focus SLR (with a nod to a rare Canon piece of garbage, the T80). Anyway, I've been in love with the Canon EOS ever since its introduction 20 years ago in 1987 - the system keeps getting better and better.

The second half of this blog's name - working in the restaurant business, one of the phrases I heard most often was "Dios Mío!" (My God!) I love the Spanish language ~ some day I'll be fluent, but I've got a long way to go.

So, EOS Mío is the name - My EOS.

The pictures featured on here will be almost exclusively my own, unless otherwise noted (but exceptions will be rare).

I'll mostly simply present my work and discuss how I took them. Occasionally I'll discuss equipment - what I've found to be great, and what I've found to be wanting. (A quick note - I do not receive any compensation whatsoever from any company for equipment mentioned in this blog - my views are independent and based on my experience only.)

A former photo professor of mine, Dr. Edward Trayes of Temple University, taught me two things about equipment: 1. It's incredibly rude to ask people what equipment they took a photograph with, and 2. A Pentax K1000, the workhorse manual film camera that most photography students use to learn photo basics, can take just as good of a photo as the most expensive film or digital camera available to humankind. Smart man, that Dr. Trayes. Someday, I hope I'm 1/10th the photographer he is.

Anyway, more on equipment later - time to post some pictures.

No comments: