Thursday, November 15, 2007

Philly Art Museum photo shoot

A few weeks ago, I went on a photo shoot at the Philadelphia Art Museum. It was right before the time change, so I only had a little over an hour of daylight to work with. We started on the steps of the art museum, since my models, Lolita and Mei Ling, just wanted close-up shots for a project they were doing.

Unless otherwise noted, all photos were taken on a Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f2.8L lens, ISO 1000, aperture priority at f5.6 for adequate depth of field. All images were post-processed with Adobe Photoshop CS3.

My models' one big request was to have a picture taken in black and white, but with their lips in color. Here are the two best images. I played with the color a bit - the color above is their original color, which ultimately they did not like. They wanted more red, which is the result below.

In the end, I think they were right - I like this version best.

Lolita on the art museum steps - this is one of my favorite images of the bunch.

Mei Ling in just about the same spot on the steps. Both were a pleasure to shoot - it's always easy to capture images when you have enthusiastic, photogenic subjects.

I've always been a big fan of angle shots - whenever I'm on a shoot, I always take at least a few of them to see how they turn out.

As the daylight faded, we headed down to the restored Philadelphia Water Works. I've noticed that many wedding receptions take pictures there, so I wanted to see what we could do with what little daylight we had left. The architecture makes for some very interesting shots.

These final two I took just as the daylight began fading, and I added my Canon Speedlite 580 EX II with a Gary Fong diffuser. I wish we could have had more time, but we were short on daylight. Considering the amount of time and light we had available though, I think we made the most of it.

No comments: