Monday, December 8, 2008

Some roof-top candid shots

This fall has been a busy one, and I haven't had a whole lot of time to catch up on photography. Thankfully, my semester of teaching is winding down and over the next month I'll have much more time to devote to photography.

Anyway, I thought I'd post some candids I took of some friends on our roof-top deck not long ago. I didn't have a whole lot of time to get these - the sun was setting and the light was just right. The view that we have of the city makes for a very nice backdrop

All of these shots were taken with a Canon EOS 40D, Canon 24-105L lens, and the camera's pop-up flash. I didn't record the exposures, but I was using the camera's creative mode for night backgrounds, and for the most part, I'm pleased with these.

As always, click on any picture for a larger view of the image...

Even though there isn't any sun in this one, for some reason it's my favorite - the Philadelphia skyscrapers are visible in the background, and it just feels right - two great friends, and a little slice of Philly as a backdrop.

I had Colleen and Brad turn just a little bit to capture some sunset, and this was the result.

This was the last one I took - the light was getting pretty scarce, but the flash still did the job. I'm normally not too much of a fun of pop-up flashes on SLRs - they usually a. aren't powerful enough, and b. they wash out too much detail when they are powerful enough for a shot I wish to get. This is one of those rare instances where I can say I was pretty happy with the job that the pop-up flash did without a diffuser.

My friends Kali and Chris posed for this shot with the Philadelphia Museum of Art in the background.

This one is of two of my best friends, Mike & Erin. I photographed their wedding in the fall, and I'll share some of those pictures in the coming days.

No comments: