Tuesday, August 26, 2008

New York City shoot

Last month I traveled to New York City to spend the day with my friend Christina, and we had a great deal of fun on a beautiful day taking pictures on and around the Brooklyn Bridge. While I was waiting for her to get off of work, I took a hop on, hop off bus tour to take in a few of the sights (even though I've been to NYC many times before), and I captured a few interesting images.

Philadelphia might be the top of the heap when it comes to murals, New York City has some tremendous murals, too, specifically for advertisements. This ad for DKNY is probably the coolest mural advertisement I've seen, although I haven't seen too many in New York City. However, in Philly, I've seen very few murals that are advertisements - in Philly, they are typically for artistic purposes.

And this one is a close second - a Mark Jacobs ad - I love it. This one is from Times Square.

New York City has marvelous, historic architecture that one could photograph for months if so inclined. I found this angle interesting while riding on the top of a tour bus as we approached a Bloomingdales.

I just love this building - the crazy wide windows, the shapes, all of it. And I think this image works much better as a black and white.

I didn't quite get the angle I had hoped for, but I still find the shapes of this national treasure appealing here. I wish Philly's Ben Franklin had a similar structure, where people would walk over it and admire its beauty.

This one is one of my favorites - the cables that hold up the bridge make for some very interesting shots and angles, and I liked how the cables sort of pointed the way toward the American flag.

This is a view from the Manhattan side right before we walked over to Brooklyn. The three succeeding shots immediately below are my very favorite from my shoot in NYC, & I'll just let them stand on their own. ...

The image above I took as we were walking down toward the waterfront in Brooklyn - the bridge in the foreground is the Brooklyn Bridge, and the bridge in the background is the Manhattan Bridge.

I snapped this as we looked back at the Brooklyn Bridge as we pulled away in a river taxi. The Domino Sugar plant is at left; there's a larger photo below.

These "green" waterfalls were built by the city for aesthetic purposes this summer - they are designed to have minimal environmental impact, and the energy used to pump the water to the top of the falls comes from renewable resources.

The two pictures above were taken at the River Cafe in Brooklyn, overlooking the East River. For the image immediately above, I used a drag shutter (slow shutter speed) to get the desired effect - an almost milky-like water fall.

This one just spoke to me - it reminded me of our quickly disintegrating manufacturing capacity in the U.S. - a real shame. It feels like America manufactures very little anymore.

These last two just cracked me up - the one above is simply an error of grammar - isn't litter something left on the ground?

I loved this, only because you never see it - when I took this, these guys were just getting ready to write this UPS truck a ticket!

1 comment:

Helena said...
This comment has been removed by the author.