Sunday, October 11, 2009

Getting a charge out of Flux Capacitor

Last month I traveled to South Philly to take pictures of Flux Capacitor, an up-and-coming, very talented rock band. In short, these guys are pretty amazing - it was a great night and I had a lot of fun capturing these images. I highly recommend checking these guys out - they tour in the Philadelphia region, and their album, They Know We Know is available on iTunes. Check 'em out - you won't be disappointed! (Full disclosure - this was not a paid gig, and I'm not being paid to say that!)

All pictures taken with a Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon Speedlite 580 EX II, and Canon 24-105 IS f/4L and 70-210 IS f/2.8L lenses.

Jason Specht on percussion, drums and backing vocals - on many of these photos, I used a rear curtain sync to get the effect of motion. It's one of my favorite things to do - a different look instead of simply having flash freeze all the action, which I find boring in many situations. In this particular shot, I zoomed while I shot, something I find more difficult to do with nearly all modern zooms that twist to zoom instead of the old "push-pull" type, where this was much easier.

Michael Specht on synth and keyboards

Pete Specht on lead vocals and guitar

Sean Moran on bass and backing vocals

This one of lead vocalist Pete Specht is by far my favorite one of the bunch; I tried doing existing light at this venue, Ray's Birthday Bar, but there just wasn't enough light, even with my ultra-fast Canon 50 f/1.2L lens (at least not without cranking up the ISO higher than I wanted to go.

A little sepia is always good; that, along with black & white, are probably my two favorite image types to work with.

If you would like to see more images from the shoot, Click Here.

No comments: