Saturday, March 1, 2008

Made in the USA: rare for photo gear

"Made in the USA" is not a phrase familiar to digital photographers these days. Reliability and durability are two traits that I demand in my photo equipment, no matter where it is made. Recently, I had to replace my small top-load Lowepro case with something bigger; it just wasn't quite big enough at the very top to hold my EOS 5D with attacked battery grip. I have had excellent results with Lowepro over the years; I still own several others, including my main gadget bag. After checking Lowepro's Website, I was disappointed to find that Lowepro didn't make a bag in the size I needed.

My first thought was to see what Tamrac had to offer. A while back I bought one of their sling bags, and I've been very happy with it; durability, flexibility of internal configuration and even style made me fall in love with the bag the moment I bought it.

Anyway, after some clicking and exploring, I found the bag I eventually purchased (top) - it's affordable, WIDE on the inside and exactly what I was looking for. Best of all, the bag is Made in the USA. Any Lowepro I've ever bought has been manufactured abroad, so it made me feel good to buy a domestically made bag.

Considering this, if and when I need another bag, I'll consider Lowepro like I always do, but Tamrac will get a look as well; if I have a choice between two bags with comparable features, and one is made in the USA and the other's not, it isn't even a choice. Bravo, Tamrac.

It's not that I'm now down on Lowepro - their bags are better than ever. One good thing about Lowepro worth noting - since their products are so tough, they remain in like-new condition for a long time if you take care of them. Since I no longer had any use for my old Lowepro top-loader, I sold it on eBay and I recouped much of the cost to get my new, $65 Tamrac bag.

No comments: